As we know, Running is the simplest and most powerful form of workout you can do. Runners maintain a great feel for runner’s high. As one begins to run, the individual’s hearts start to pump harder and push blood at a higher rate through all parts of the body. The respiratory mechanism also works harder, your body heats up, and your mind prepares for vigorous exercise. With running, the body also releases endorphin hormones, which stimulate the body and give the feeling of a natural high.
Experts say that experiencing this sort of runner’s high is the best way to feel relaxed and attain more happening. Running and similar forms of vigorous exercises can provide various mental health benefits. We will discuss a few such top benefits to the mind of the runners.
As per the expert opinion of Bernshtam, here are some of thetop mental health benefits of running regularly.
- Effective management of stress – Running is found to control the stress level in humans and can also help boost the capacity to deal with the existing tension. This will help individuals to relax more and increase concentration levels. Running also helps to release norepinephrine, a chemical that will help empower the brain’s ability to deal with stress.
- Vitamin supplementation – Running outside on sunny mornings will help the body produce more vitamin D. This nutrient will help lessen the likelihood of experiencing any depression. Vitamin D also offers many physical benefits and strengthens the overall metabolism.
- Enriching cognitive ability – Running helps to improve many disease conditions. Even though it cannot cure cognitive disabilities like Alzheimer’s, Running can significantly help boost the human brain’s ability rain and tackle cognitive decline, which may start to happen by around age 45. Working out well between the ages of 25 and 45 will help boost the brain chemicals and prevent any degeneration of the hippocampus of the brain, which is a critical part of our learning and memory.
- A balanced state of mind – As we have seen above, many good chemicals are released during Running, making you feel calmer and composed. Whether you are jogging on a treadmill or on track, getting your body moving briskly is the healthiest way to cope with tough mental conditions.
- Boosting the brainpower – Cardio exercise can help create fresh brain cells, which will help improve the brain’s overall performance. A solid run can help increase the protein levels in the body, which are derived by the brain, and studies have shown that these proteins can help with better decision making, lateral thinking, quick learning, etc.
Along with these, moderate levels of Running also seem to help with better sleep, even in people with insomnia conditions. For example, running around four to five hours before bedtime will increase the body temperature. When the temperature drops back to normal after a few hours, it gives the body a signal that it is time for sleep and offers better sleep. Running also seemed to increase physical function and productivity. Bernshtam also confirms that people also feel more motivated and enthusiastic about work with running.